It is common to experience a medical negligence claim in your professional medical practitioner career. The patient can make you liable for a claim when there has been:
- A Duty of Care: You owe the claimant a duty of care
- A Breach of Duty: Your standard of care fell below the reasonable expectations and would be recognized to be deficient by a responsible body of opinion within the relevant specialty; and/or
- A Causation: You made a breach of duty that has contributed to some injury, damage or loss to the patient
We provide full professional legal assistance, coverING the cost of your representation and indemnity for your medical negligence claims. All of these legal costs are fully covered by MPPS. Moreover, all indemnity payable to patients as a result of damage from medical negligence and even negligence from good Samaritan acts, are fully covered.
The protection is a non-discretionary process. You know your full protection limit from the first day you join MPPS.
How to Make a Claim
Procedures are the same for government doctors, private doctors and housemen. We are here to help our Hong Kong medical professionals so you can take care of your patients. Should you need to make a claim or would like to enquire about a situation, follow the steps listed below.
- Contact our Immediate Help Hotline at +852 3606 9330
- Fill out the claim form and submit it to Asia Insurance
- A representative from Asia Insurance will follow up with you
- Asia Insurance will review each claim internally. Evaluations will be made for each individual situation, as long as your incident is under the coverage period
- Doctor will be contacted with the final evaluation from Asia Insurance
Benefits Provided by MPPS
- Disciplinary procedures by the government, Medical Council, Coroner’s court or other official bodies
- Preparing for inquests
- Regulatory Hearings
- Criminal proceedings
- Indemnity for Good Samaritan Acts
- Other proceedings initiated by the Committee of the HA
Advice Provided by MPPS
- Medicolegal advisory service
- Counselling and supports
MPPS coverage offers both legal assistance and indemnity for GDA and HKPDA doctors. We also cover overseas training for up to six months and voluntary medical work within Hong Kong. Moreover, our medical negligence coverage not only to good Samaritan cases.
Due to a recent court case awarded a plaintiff over HK$16 million in compensation for a traffic accident, this year we have launched a new coverage amount for public doctors.
|Option 1:||Option 2:|
|At an annual premium of $4,203.571, a sum insured of HK$10,000,000 is provided per case and policy year for all levels of medical officer and specialization.||At an annual premium of $6,205.271 for all grades of medical officer and specialization, a sum insured of HK$20,000,000 is provided per case and policy year.|
As a “claims-made basis” insurance, when an insured member has paid five years of premium or above immediately prior to ceasing to be a member, the company agrees to protect him/her on an occurrence basis in their lifetime for incidents during his/her insured period.
If the insured paid less than five years of premium immediately prior ceasing to be a member, and continued to be insured under our private practice professional protection scheme, the above can still take effect.
*1 Subject to the actual policy inception date